Paracord Fids from Brass
A fid helps you weave paracord.
The butt end is threaded to grip the melted end of some paracord.
I happened to have 1/4" (6mm) brass rod so I used that.
These are roughly 4" (100mm) and weigh 0.8oz (23g) each.
I see many fids at 3" (76mm) but I made these longer.
I could shorten them later.
- Saw to length.
- Chuck into drill press against 9/64" (3.6mm) bit in vise.
- Chuck into handheld power drill. Tap #10-24 threads.
- Chuck into drill press and set a fairly high speed.
- Flatten butt and chamfer using a bastard mill file.
- Reverse and file the point.
- Polish using a towel and Barkeeper's Friend (powdered oxalic acid).